Tuesday, January 27, 2015

All I Need Are Some Apple Trees


 When Brian and I first met, it didn’t take long for us to develop a pattern in our long-distance communication. It would start with a text in the morning, ‘Good Morning Beautiful’ and then finish with a video chat or phone call that always included Brian playing some of his favorite Country songs and how they related to his life and faith. It didn’t take long for him to find his favorite for me - ”Hey Pretty Girl” by Kip Moore.

It also didn’t take long for Brian to win my heart, pop the question and produce a ring. In short order we set a date, booked a honeymoon and then 3 months into this new mystery called marriage; found ourselves with the opportunity to become parents. Our little amazing girl with bright blue eyes arrived 7 days shy of our first anniversary. During her percolation period, we also started the process of purchasing a little home, securing financing, and creating budgets for septic and water systems, solar power, hardwood flooring, drywall, and the list goes on!

Today, the home finally arrived on our screw pile foundation! Right in the middle of our hay field! Today I am learning yet again about a new phrase that has entered my life since being introduced to Brian; ‘make hay while the sun shines.’ This fall I realized practically what this means – it means watching the clouds and horizon every morning to see what the day may hold. It means consulting weather apps for the odds of rain. It means turning to my husband to see his expression…yup, today is a day for hay.

Make the most of every opportunity, get while the getting’s good, Carpe Diem – seize the day. John Heywood first records this proverb of ‘doing something while the situation and conditions are right’ in 1546:

When the sunne shinth make hay. Whiche is to say. Take time when time cometh, lest time steale away.

My life the last 24 months has felt like a ‘make hay’ kind of season; dating and marriage, new job, new community, new baby, new house, new everything. It could seem risky and irresponsible to some; throwing caution to the wind for others. Or it could be about taking a good long look at the horizon, turning one’s face to the sun and trusting that ‘today is a good day to make hay.’

Kip Moore did a good job of predicting this haymaking journey. According to him, now all I need are some apple trees!

Hey Pretty Girl


Hey pretty girl, won't you look my way
Loves in the air tonight.
You can bet you'll make this ol' boy's day
Hey pretty girl, won't you look my way.

Hey pretty girl, can I have this dance
And the next one after that?
Gonna make you mine there's a real good chance,
Hey pretty girl, can I have this dance.

Hey pretty girl, it feels so right
Just like it's meant to be.
All wrapped up in my arms so tight,
Hey pretty girl, it feels so right.

Life's a long and winding ride
Better have the right one by your side.
And happiness don't drag its feet
Time moves faster than you think.

Hey pretty girl, I wanna take you home
My momma's gonna love you.
She'll make me sleep on the couch, I know.
But hey pretty girl, I wanna take you home.

Hey pretty girl, lets build some dreams
And a house on a piece of land.
We'll plant some roots and some apple trees
Hey pretty girl, lets build some dreams.

Life's a long and winding ride
Better have the right one by your side.
Happiness don't drag its feet
And time moves faster than you think.

Hey pretty girl, you did so good
Our baby's got your eyes.
And a fighter’s heart like I knew she would.
Hey pretty girl, you did so good.

Hey pretty girl when I see the light
And it's my time to go,
I'm gonna thank the Lord for a real good life
A pretty little girl and a beautiful wife.



No comments: